Phrasal Verbs with 'run'

Run across/into someone = to meet someone unexpectedly e.g. Guess who I ran across/into today?

Run after = to chase e.g. I had to run after the bus today as it arrived early.

Run along = said to children to tell them to go away e.g. Run along, we are have some serious talking to do here.

Run around = busy with many different things e.g. I’ve got to run around this morning for the wedding preparations.

Run away/off = to leave by running e.g. As soon as they saw the car owner they ran away/off.

Run away = to secretly leave as you are unhappy e.g. He ran away from home when he was fifteen.

Run off = to secretly or suddenly leave forever e.g. I came home one day and found that my husband had run off.

Run away/off with something = to steal e.g. They ran away with the money.

Run away with something = imagination, emotions, enthusiasm makes someone do silly things e.g. When he thinks of success, his imagination runs away, and he thinks he will be as famous as Justin Bieber.

Run away from = to avoid e.g. I wish he would face his problems instead of running away from them.

Run away with someone = to secretly leave in order to live/marry someone e.g. Her parents didn’t like him so she ran away with him and now they are happily married.

Run something by someone = to repeat something e.g. Let me run by the proposal to you again and you can tell me what you think about it.

Run down = to lose power e.g. My mobile phone battery is running down, I need to re-charge it.

Run for something = to try to get elected e.g. Obama is running for President again.

Run into something = to experience difficulties e.g. When we first opened up the company, we ran into many problems.

Run into something = to accidently hit something while driving e.g. He fell asleep on the wheel and ran into a tree.

Run off/on something = to use a supply of power e.g. The advantage is that it doesn’t run off/on electricity but uses solar power instead.

Run something off = to print/photocopy e.g. Can you run off 30 copies of this memo?

Run on = to continue for longer than expected e.g. Sorry I’m late. The concert ran on until 3am.

Run out = to have nothing left e.g. I’m sorry we’ve run out of orange juice, would you like something else?

Run out = to reach an expiry date e.g. My house contract is running out so I’m looking for a new place.

Run through something = to explain/read something quickly to someone e.g. Let me just run through the reservation list to see which table is yours.

Run to someone = to ask someone to help/protect you. e.g. Whenever she spends all her salary she runs back to her parents for more money.

Run up to = to run to where a person is e.g. After the show, my daughter ran up to me on the stage and brought me flowers.

Run up something = to owe lots of money e.g. She went shopping every day while on holiday and ran up quite a large sum.
You have read this article with the title Phrasal Verbs with 'run'. You can bookmark this page URL http://apostolosmakrides.blogspot.com/2012/09/phrasal-verbs-with_16.html. Thanks!

3 comment for "Phrasal Verbs with 'run'"