Expressions with 'look'

Look after somebody/something = take care of e.g. Can you look after our dog this weekend?
Look ahead = think and plan for the future e.g. We have to look ahead if we want to make a profit.
Look at = examine e.g. Look at this proposal and let me know what you think.
Look back = remember something from the past e.g. When I look back, I realize it was a crazy thing to do.
Look down on = think someone is less important than you e.g. They looked down on us because we were waiters.
Look for = to try to find something/someone e.g. I’ve been looking for my keys all morning.
Look forward to = excited about a future event e.g. I’m looking forward to the concert.
Look into = investigate e.g. The police are looking into the bank robbery.
Look out! =take care e.g. Look out! There is a car coming.
Look out for something/somebody = look carefully e.g. Look out for Lucy, her plane has landed.
Look over something = examine quickly e.g. I looked over my notes before the presentation.
Look through something = examine carefully e.g. I looked through the files for the missing document.
Look up = to search for information e.g. We looked up the number in the directory.
Look up = starting to improve e.g. Things are beginning to look up.
Look up to = respect e.g. He has always looked up to his older brother.

From the look of things = judging by appearances e.g. From the look of things, the shop is doing great.
Not much to look at = unattractive e.g. The car is not much to look at but it is reliable.
Look on the bright side = be cheerful in spite of difficulties e.g. Look on the bright side, at least you got tickets to the concert.
Look his/her age = appear as old as he/she really is e.g. She doesn’t look her age at all.
New look = fresh appearance e.g. Her new hairstyle gives her a completely new look.
You have read this article with the title Expressions with 'look'. You can bookmark this page URL https://apostolosmakrides.blogspot.com/2010/11/expressions-with.html. Thanks!

8 comment for "Expressions with 'look'"

  1. Through this post you have provided the an impressive way of how one can learn Learn English speaking at home. One has to create an environment to improve English speaking. The more you speak the more you learn. sentence corrector easily write correct english

    ReplyDelete
  2. Need to find a spelling on a word fast? Try Google. When ever I need to check the spelling on a word I open my browser and go to Google and type in the word I am looking for. my blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. A teacher of teeth deals with all type of teeth matters. It is the job of a teacher to deal in all type of teeth matters. A knowledgeable person can deal well in writing. We have knowledgeable persons or your report writing. colon checker

    ReplyDelete
  4. Missing descriptive linguistics Preposition" Checker - is it that helpful? will it save United States of America time whereas proofreading our writing assignments? English is that the hottest international language my blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post! I am so happy to visit your post. Through this, you provided the easy way to learn English at home. This post is very informative for those students who can't go any institute to learn English. This click to explore to get the impressive knowledge to learn English.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never know just a single word look can have such a huge variety of meaning. But english dictionary as a vast vocabulary of meanings of a single word.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I need it. Thank you for update information. i like your blog.

    بهترین هتل ‌های مرکز شهر تهران

    ReplyDelete